Stress is not necessarily a bad thing; it can be a stimulus for positive change and growth.
But excess stress can be detrimental.
You can feel the effects of stress from one single large event or as a series of small ones accumulate.
Even a small stressor in your life like a mild, but chronic illness, a daily commute or ever-present background noise, if sustained or combined with other stressors, can take its toll.
Research shows that as stress builds, you may become more susceptible to physical illness, mental and emotional problems, and accidental injuries.
Awareness is the first step in coping with stress.
Taking the following test will give you a moment out of your busy life to tune in to your own stress signals.
Some of the following symptoms could indicate a medical condition that warrants prompt attention, so if the symptoms persist or worsen, see your doctor.
However, there’s a good chance they are signs that too much stress may be affecting your health.
If your answers give you reason to suspect that stress may be taking a toll on you, remember that regular massage can gradually counteract these effects.
Beyond that, you may want to see a doctor or professional counselor for specific advice to manage your stress.
- Do you experience regular insomnia?
- Have your eating habits changed? Do you want to eat more than usual or have you lost your appetite?
- Do you worry about bad things happening to your loved ones?
- Do you have stomach aches or intestinal distress?
- Do you have trouble concentrating?
- Do you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about things you have no control over?
- Do you lack energy to do the things you enjoy at the end of the day or on the weekend?
- Do you feel listless or apathetic?
- Are you tense or irritable at work or at home?
- Have you lost your sense of humour?
- Are you increasingly forgetful?
- Do you feel you have lost control over your life?
- Do your relationships or friendships feel unsatisfying?
- Do you panic easily?
- Are you often fatigued?
- Do you get frequent colds or suffer from allergies?
- Has your drinking or smoking increased?
- Do you find it hard to relax or fall asleep at night?
- Have you lost enthusiasm for your work?
Yours in good health,
Adrian Jackson MANTA
Remedial Massage Therapist | Tui Na Bodyworker
t: 3342 0010 | e: adrian(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)soothenaturalmedicine.com.au